AKH Standard Showdown: 4 Things to Know
Standard Showdown: Amonkhet starts this weekend!
Because it's a new event type and it's gone through a couple iterations, our support teams are getting a fair number of questions.
Here are a few essential things to know as the season gets started:
1. The prize packs are made up of rares, mythic rares, full-art lands, and foils.
The prize pack contents are a bit different than the last couple times around.
Here's what's inside:
There are four cards total:
- 2 rares or mythics rares.These are pulled from a Standard-legal set.
- 1 Amonkhet full-art land.
- 1 premium card from a currently legal Standard set.It can be any rarity, and it can be a full-art land.
When issuing the prize booster packs, we recommend prioritizing undefeated players, returning players from previous weeks, new players, and players who brought a friend.
Also worth noting: Masterpiece Series: Amonkhet Invocations do not appear.
2. It requires at least 8 players and at least 3 rounds.
Standard Showdown is the point at which the event calendar bends toward competitive: it should be a tournament-style event with at least eight players and at least three rounds.
It must meet both of those requirements to fire and for players to receive the prize packs.
3. Surplus packs should support future Standard events.
If you do end up cancelling any of your events, make sure you hang on to those packs: after 30 days, they may be used to support any Standard events you run.
Standard Showdown season ends on July 2, so, starting August 1, use those extras to make happy faces at your Standard events.
4. We want to see decklists!
We want to see how players are using Amonkhet in your store.
Let players know they can show off their decks with the form below. Share this link on social media or fold it into your announcements.
The decklists will give our R&D folks a clearer glimpse into the state of Standard, and a handful of favorites will end up featured on MagicTheGathering.com.