Changes to WPN Premium Play Events and RPTQs
This weekend Wizards of the Coast announced some improvements to our WPN Premium Tournament program and Regional Pro Tour Qualifiers, effective January 2016.
Here's what you need to know:
WPN Premium Tournaments
These large festival-style Magic events are available to WPN stores Advanced level and above, after approval by your Retail Support representative.
- We have increased the Planeswalker Points multiplier from 3x to 4x
- Wizards may issue an exclusive digital art asset for advertising the event. Upon approval, this asset may also be used for special giveaways like deckboxes and playmats
- Must be Advanced level or above
- Must have run at least one 100 player event in the last twelve months
- Event must use a Level 2+ certified Judge
- Event site must seat at least 100 players
- Store must have a website
- The date of your event may not conflict with preexisting Premium Tournaments in your region
How to Apply
Submit a form (available soon) to your Retail Support representative. If your request is approved, your event will be upgraded to a Premium Tournament.
WPN Premium Series
There are many series-style events hosted by independent organizers on a national scale. The WPN Premium Series program is a new way to have these events officially recognized by Wizards.
- Qualifiers will award a 2x Planeswalker multiplier, and Finals events will award a 4x multiplier
- Wizards will issue an exclusive digital art asset for advertising the event. Upon approval, this asset may also be used for special giveaways like deckboxes and playmats
- Event may offer 1 invite to the Pro Tour subject to preapproval by Wizards of the Coast
- Must be Advanced Plus level
- Must have run at least one 250 player event in the last twelve months
- Must use a Level 3+ certified Judge
- Must have an Approved Scorekeeper for a multi-format or multi-day event. Once your event is approved, Wizards will assist in locating an Approved Scorekeeper.
- Must sign a Quality Contract
- A typical series will have 20 large open qualifier events that culminate in a championship event
- Qualifiers should be geographically diverse
- 75% of Qualifiers should be run by other Advanced/Advanced Plus locations
- Host store should have previous experience in hosting a WPN Premium Tournament
How to Apply
Create a proposal, including all details of your planned series, and submit it to your Retail Support representative. You may choose any medium (e.g. Powerpoint deck, Business Plan document, etc.) to convey your plan.
Regional Pro Tour Qualifiers
Available to 31 WPN stores worldwide, an RPTQ provides players in your region the opportunity to ascend to the Pro Tour.
- Regional PTQs will be held during two consecutive weekends, in order to offer more flexibility to players
- Starting with the round tied to the second Pro Tour of 2016, Regional PTQ organizers will have the option to host a Last Chance Qualifier that grants winners entry into the Regional PTQ taking place that weekend. Details, including event time, entry fees, and more will be determined by each Regional PTQ organizer
For more information about RPTQs including the selection process, check out How to Host a Regional PTQ.
These changes go into effect January 2016, so start planning now!