Join Magic and D&D in a Charity Event to Benefit Kids!
Over the past few years, the Dungeons & Dragons team has raised thousands of dollars for the Extra Life initiative, a charity gaming event that supports Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.
They'll be at it again for Extra Life's Tabletop Appreciation Weekend (October 2 through 4). And this year, they've inspired Magic: The Gathering to participate, with a goal of raising $75,000.
As a WPN retailer, there are many ways you could join the charge:
Stream and Impact the Game!
From the morning of Saturday, October 3, the Magic team will run a 24-hour stream of Magic game play, live from the Wizards of the Coast headquarters.
The Dungeons & Dragons team will play through a 48-hour long adventure, streaming live from Friday, October 2 at 8AM.
Keep the streams running in your store, and encourage players to donate during the event.
Join a Team and Host a Marathon Game In-Store
Rally your players and prepare to run your own marathon game in your store! Here's how to get started:
- Decide which game you'll play, who will be playing and create a schedule. Players don't need to play for the entire 48 hours, and a rotating cast can help keep things fresh.
- Set a date and time for your game. The official Extra-Life event takes place on October 2–4, starting at 8 AM, but you can participate on any date up through the end of the year.
- Have each player in the party set a personal goal for donations, as well as milestone goals. Consider offering special rewards, once a milestone is reached. You could also create milestones that trigger events in-game.
- Have each player join Extra Life. They should choose “Join a Team” and select “Magic: The Gathering" or "Dungeons & Dragons." Then complete the remaining steps to create their accounts.
- Once your players are set up, spread the word via your local media, social media, in-store advertising, and any other outlets you can think of! Get tips from the Dungeons & Dragons team here.
Sponsor a Play Group
If you don't have the resources for an in-store marathon, you could still encourage your players to participate, following the steps above.
Help players get the word out for donations and offer prize support for reaching certain milestone donations.
Has your store or players participated in Extra Life? Tell us about it at WPNStories@wizards.com