WER "Blank Names" Issue Workaround
Many Wizards Event Reporter users have reported an issue in which certain players' names have disappeared from their local player database. The issue has been affecting players who haven't completed their DCI accounts and do not have a name listed.
We've issued an update that should prevent additional names from disappearing. However, this update will not cause blank names to reappear.
There are possible two ways to recover them:
1. Have the player go to accounts.wizards.com and complete their profile. This is the best, most permanent fix.
2. There may be a backup copy of your local player database that includes those players' names. You may be able to use that file to recover the lost names.
Please note that this process will erase any players added to your database and any information about events you've run since the backup copy was created.
Here's how to do it:
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter
Windows 7 & 8: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter
Note that you'll want to set your computer to show hidden files and folders to view the file.
2. Open WER. If you're unable to open WER, please contact Retail Support.
3. Go to Open > Restore Backup and find the backup file. You'll find it here:
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter\backup
Windows 7 & 8: C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter\backup
You'll see ten backup files. Choose the earliest one. WER will restart itself.
4. Check that the missing names are recovered. If they aren't, restore the TournamentData.dat file you saved in step #1 (follow these same steps to do so).
If you have any questions, please contact Retail Support.